Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Personal Reflection On Helping A Friend In Need

Today I went to visit a good friend of ours. He is the very first male I ever encountered who has lupus. When I first met him he was like the hard rough biker dude who has a military surplus store. Just the mere fact that he has lupus it was like  I had finally found someone who knew what I was going through. It was a relief that I could relate to someone else who was living with this disease. I have always been the kind of person who helps a person in need of help whatever their situation is.  Times right now are hard especially those who can't find jobs or they run their own business like my friend does. That is hard enough on anybody let alone someone with lupus. I had helped him by giving him some business in his store.
  Now a days people get so caught up in their daily lives that they don't realize that there is pain and suffering . It only takes one person to make a difference in someone else's life. Doing an act of kindness never gets old in fact it is good for the heart and for the soul. I know that eventually by helping someone else that it will come back on me and even if it doesn't well that is okay too. Every time I went into the hospital I tried to be as positive as I could be given the fact that I was ill, but I kept thinking that if I gave into the disease I would crumble. I remember on one particular occasion back in '97  there was a student physician ,because the hospital I was in was a teaching hospital, I can't remember her name, but she came into my room with a bouquet of flowers. We were talking and she asked me if I knew why she came to see me. I told her that no I didn't she was a stranger to me that I had met only because I was in the hospital. The flowers were for me from her just to wish me well in hopes that I was going to get better. Anyway she told me that she herself had lupus and she knew what I was going through. It brought tears to my eyes, because even though I didn't show it I was scared. I didn't want to die,but I knew if I didn't do something to help my situation that my prognosis would not have been good. That one person who was kind enough to come in and showed me that they truly cared made a difference in my life.  My doctor came in one day and told me about this one girl who went into renal failure just like me and she didn't make it. I truly believe that God has blessed me in so many ways and for that I am grateful to be alive  and to watch my kids grow up into young ladies. Life is to short too be angry about this and that. Right at this very moment I am in some pain because the monsoon season is here, but I get through it. If  I could I would give a complete stranger the shirt off my back if it meant that I helped someone else.  I know that some people who have lupus are just too tired to deal with all the emotions when it comes to this disease, but keep on fighting you will get through it! One day there will be a cure!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment